3 ratings
The town of Partizánske is located in the southern part of the Trenčín Region at the confluence of the Nitra and Nitra rivers. The cadastre of the town of Partizánske is part of the northern outcrop of the Danube uplands, while the slightly undulating relief passes in the southeast to the Tribeč Mountains.

City of Partizánske

The town of Partizánske is located in the southern part of the Trenčín Region at the confluence of the Nitra and Nitra rivers. The cadastre of the town of Partizánske is part of the northern outcrop of the Danube uplands, while the slightly undulating relief passes in the southeast to the Tribeč Mountains.

Partizánske, one of the youngest towns in Slovakia, lies in the southern part of the Trenčín Region at the confluence of the Nitra and Nitra rivers. Surrounded by the promontories of the Strážov Hills and the Tribeč Mountains, it is the entrance gate to the upper Nitra. The origin and history of the town is closely connected with the company Baťa, which in the years 1938 to 1939 built a plant for the production of footwear in the area of the village Šimonovany (today's town part of Partizánske). The first excavation work began on August 8, 1938, and this day is considered the official date of the city's founding. With the rapid development of production in the factory, the settlement of Baťovany with modern residential and social buildings began to grow in Šimonovany. With the growing importance of the settlement, Baťovany acquired the attributes of a village and subsequently a town in 1948. A year later, in honor of the inhabitants who took part in the Slovak National Uprising, they were renamed the Partizánske and Baťa plants in Partizánske, and they adopted the name Závody on August 29. Since 1976, the villages of Veľké Bielice, Malé Bielice and Návojovce have also been a part of Partizánske. The dominant feature of the city is the reconstructed central city zone, which consists of SNP Square with a fountain and a city park. The Roman Catholic Church of the Divine Heart of Jesus is situated in the axis of the SNP Square. The interior of the church, which has been a cultural monument since 1995, features a marble cross with a statue of Christ.

Also interesting are the original semi-detached houses made of red brick on the famous Červená street, which is located in the colony of the oldest original development of Baťa's family houses. One of the oldest preserved Gothic-Renaissance mansions, the Water Castle in Šimonovany, whose origins date back to the middle of the 13th century, also attracts attention. A natural uniqueness is the Bielické bahná area, which hides a rare habitat of European importance - maric sawdust, thanks to which it is included in the national list of areas of European importance. Partisan, once referred to as the city of footwear, today lives a modern and dynamic life and fulfills the slogan: The city where it lives!


An inseparable part of the town since its inception is the former independent village of Šimonovany (now part of Partizánské). The decisive year was 1938, when the company MAS - Moravské a slovenské strojírny, bought land in the area of the village of Šimonovany from the landowner Eugen Salzberger, with the intention of starting to build a factory for the production of bicycles and shoemaking machines. The company belonged to the shoe concern Tomáš Baťa and its majority owner was Jan Antonín Baťa, half-brother of Tomáš Baťa st .. The first excavation work began on August 8, 1938 and this day is considered the official date of the city.

Simultaneously with the construction of the factory, the construction of a settlement called Baťovany also began . In addition to production halls, modern houses for employees began to be built according to the chief architect of the Zlín construction office of the company, Baťa, Vladimír Karfík, a leading representative of functionalism. Promising construction work was hampered in September 1938 by political events in Munich. After the disintegration of the Czech-Slovak Republic (Czechoslovakia), Jan Antonín Baťa needed to maintain the property owned by the Baťa company in Slovakia. He decided to subscribe to a large loan to the Slovak government, which freed his hands for doing business in Slovakia. Baťa abandoned his intention of planned engineering production and started the production of footwear in the factory in Šimonovany. The first pairs of shoes were produced on July 15, 1939. By the end of the year, the factory had produced 940,000 pairs of leather shoes. At the same time, the comprehensive construction of a new village progressed. In the settlement of Baťovany, a modern residential area, cultural and social spaces, shops, sports grounds, medical and social facilities grew up. In 1940, the railway station between Šimonovany and Veľké Bielice was handed over for use, and the construction of the Social House with a cinema was also completed.


The settlement of Baťovany had its own municipal committee since August 1940 - all its members were employees of the Baťa company. In 1941, there were fundamental changes in the administration of the village Šimonovany. The municipal committee was dissolved and the administration of the municipality was taken over by the government commissioner with his advisory board, who, however, did not have the right to decide.

The arrival of the Baťa company to the village of Šimonovany was a great benefit for it. Thanks to the company, the financial situation of the village has improved so much that it was able to start the long-delayed construction modifications, which it could not afford before due to lack of money. All investments of the newly built settlement Baťovany were taken over by the company Baťa and the village Šimonovany could devote itself only to its affairs. During the years 1939 - 1942, the village built a modern Municipal House, which also included a post office. In 1941, it began regulating the Nitra River, which caused frequent floods. The village also invested in the renovation of streets, church, square and a city park was established. The settlement of Baťovany, which had a population of 1943 to 1967, also grew and progressed. Dozens of housing units and four detached houses were added to the residential area. A four-storey dormitory was also built for Baťa's school of work.


Many well-to-do people worked in Baťa's factory. It was around them that illegal groups with a markedly anti-fascist stance began to organize. After the outbreak of World War II, an illegal cell, then banned by the Communist Party of Slovakia, was created by workers from the bottom manipulation of the factory, Ondrej Kramár, Rudolf Kalabus and Karol Ivanka. Elemír Oláh and Štefan Horváth, a worker at the railway station in Veľké Bielice, also joined. The group began with small sabotage of German military transports, which stood in Veľké Bielice. She poured sand into the wagon bearings and cut the brake hoses. Information about trains was provided by Štefan Horváth. The small illegal cell gradually grew and in 1942 already had almost 80 members.

With the arrival of Albín Grznár, a native of Veľké Uheriec, the group began publishing and distributing leaflets aimed at pointing out the absurdity of fascism and truthfully informing about the situation on the Soviet-German front. Information on the distribution of anti-fascist leaflets also reached the State Security Center in Bratislava, which launched an extensive search. Mass arrests began in Upper Nitra. In response to these events, in August 1942, a meeting was convened on the instructions of the Communist Party leadership in the villa of Pavel Nemec near Oslany, where Albín Grznár also came. The result of the meeting was the decision to create partisan groups, which was organized by Albín Grznár. Preparing for armed struggle continued to issue leaflets. As one of the most important leaflet events in Baťovany, the archives mention the events of 1943. On the occasion of the dedication of the foundation stone of the Roman Catholic Church, the President of the Slovak state, Jozef Tiso, visited Baťov. After lifting the hatch in place for the memorial plaque, there were leaflets with the slogan Death to Fascism! Despite a major investigation, they did not reveal the organization.


Mass persecution and arrest were most pronounced in 1943-1944. In April 1943, they detained Pavel Nemec, and at the end of the month, state security agents also came to the factory to arrest Albín Grznár and Karol Ivanka. However, they managed to escape to the Great Mountains mountains, where the first partisan camp was created. In addition to the members of the illegal group recruiting new people, they were also in charge of acquiring weapons. They established contacts with military warehouses in Nováky and Bošany and also bought weapons from front-line soldiers who came on holiday to the Baťov area. Gradually, other members joined the group, including the defectors of the Slovak army (Rudolf Jašík, Jozef Kmeť, Richard Bosák), refugees from fascist camps and members of the Red Army (Ivan Časnyk, Nikolaj Putrenko) and others. In May 1944, Pavel Baranov, a Red Army officer who fled the concentration camp, took over the leadership of the partisan unit. According to him, the group also adopted the code name "Pavel".

Jozef Trojan, the administrator of Baťa's estate in Šimonovany, has also been involved in the illegal resistance life in Baťovany since 1940. In addition to establishing contacts, obtaining information and helping the persecuted, he tried to secure material illegal cells and later the uprising. He mostly supplied the insurgents with shoes, ammunition, ambulances, clothing and provisions. In November 1943, the Revolutionary National Committee was established in Šimonovany, led by Ondrej Kramár, and Jozef Trojan became its vice-chairman.


In the vicinity of Novák, a meeting of individual illegal organizations took place on August 28, 1944, at which they agreed to resist. When the uprising broke out, on the night of August 29-30, 1944, the partisans left their camp and, together with other illegal workers, occupied the gendarme station in Baťovany, the plant and the whole town. According to records from the chronicle on August 30, 1944, General Ján Golian, through the commander of the military garrison in Zemianske Kostoľany, sent an order for armed resistance to the enemy. Jozef Trojan was appointed commander of the Upper Nitra partisan units.

On August 30, 1944, the workers came to work as on other days. However, the gates were closed. The factory was occupied by armed partisans, who in front of its gate and at the railway station called on the workers to take up arms and stand in defense of the people. The workers went en masse to the Šimonovian bridge, where weapons and ammunition from Zemianske Kostolian and Bošian were prepared. The first combat units were organized. Around 2,000 insurgents joined the fighting.

The fighting units of the Pavel group waged heavy fighting near Čakajovce. The second part of the insurgents defended Baťovany. The most difficult battles in the Baťov area were recorded from 3 to 9 September. The attacks of the occupiers were initially successfully repelled. Although the fascists suffered heavy casualties, 147 insurgents were killed in the fighting. Albín Grznár, the organizer of the entire anti-fascist movement in Ponitrí, also died during one of them. It was only after the deployment of a large number of armored vehicles and tanks with the support of mortar fire that the Germans managed to recharge the bastion of the uprising of Upper Nitra - Baťovany on September 9, 1944.

The troops of the liberators approached the city at the end of March 1945. The fact that the troops of the 2nd Ukrainian Front and the troops of the 1st Bucharest Division advanced from Prievidza and Topoľčany were important for the liberation of the region. In order to escape, the fascists had to retreat to Považie very quickly. On the night of April 1-2, the retreating German troops destroyed the bridge between Veľké Bielice and Brodzany. Baťovany was liberated on April 2, 1945.


In the first days after the liberation, the first local national committee (MNV) took over the management and coordination of activities aimed at restoring normal life in the village, which took over the competencies of the abolished municipal council and notary office. Jozef Trojan became its chairman. The competencies of the former district notary offices were transferred to the district offices of the MNV. The primary task of the national committee was to establish order, with which the newly established people's militia helped in the village. Gradually, the repair of the damage that the Germans left in the village on buildings, roads and bridges began. The construction department of the Baťa company helped at every step.

By a decree of the Ministry of Industry of the Czechoslovak Republic, Baťa's companies were nationalized on January 1, 1946.

At the beginning of 1946, Šimonovany and the Baťovian factory were again hit by a flood, which caused great damage. The National Committee then decided to take concrete measures. During this period, large-scale construction began in the village. Sidewalks were built throughout the village, the fire station, the road and the square around the church were modified, public lighting was built along the state road in the Šimonovany - Baťovany section, and tree lines were planted on both sides of the road, creating a nice promenade.

In 1947, a local municipal police was established in Baťovany. One of the main problems of the village at that time was the lack of quality water. Therefore, almost every meeting of the National Committee addressed the issue of establishing a water supply system.

In the spring of 1948, the issue of the name and character of the village of Šimonovany - Baťovany, which still used inconsistent names, began to be definitively resolved. Šimonovany was still used as the official name, the company Baťa used the name Šimonovany - Baťovany from the very beginning. The Baťovany settlement has meanwhile become an independent settlement with a railway station, a hospital, a post office, a school, a Roman Catholic and Evangelical parish, shops and a national security station. City officials therefore requested an official change of the name of the village to Šimonovany - Baťovany.

The mother village of Šimonovany at that time had 650 inhabitants, while Baťovany had up to 3450 inhabitants and their number was constantly increasing. Baťovany already had all the attributes of the city, including dust-free roads, sidewalks, parks, a sports stadium, sewerage. The status of the town was granted to Baťovany on 18 November 1948. The town of Baťovany was excluded from the district of associated municipalities of the District Office of the MNV in Baťovany and a separate MNV office was established. The city gradually took over the administration of the road network, which until then belonged to the national company Baťa and also proceeded to the construction of a water supply system.

On February 9, 1949, Baťovany was renamed Partizánske and became the seat of the new district of Partizánske. The factory, in honor of the inhabitants who joined the SNP, was renamed on 13 February 1949 to Závody 29. august (ZDA).


After a period of remediation of the war, construction resumed in the late 1940s. The construction of the buildings of the industrial school, the post office, the district and local national committee, the new district hospital, the swimming pool was completed, the construction of the water supply system continued. The Municipal Enterprise of the City of Partizánske was also established, which, according to the founding charter, had 22 main activities.

The beginning of the 50's brought a temporary slowdown in the hitherto rapid progress of the city's construction. But not for long. The ever-increasing demand of the then Soviet Union for footwear from ZDA stimulated an increase in production. The close connection between the plant and the city was also reflected in its development. In 1953, the city water supply system was completed and at the same time the construction of a sewerage network began. Gradually, housing construction also came to life again. At the end of the 1950s, there were 1172 flats and 115 private family houses in Partizánske.


In 1960, a new territorial division of the state took place, within which the Partizánske district also ceased to exist. The city continued to grow, apartments, shops, and preschool facilities were added, while the original urban design of Jiří Voženílek was still respected. The distribution of individual functions in the city (hospital, house of culture, schools, sports grounds, housing) was in accordance with the original regulatory plan from 1945. The completion of the construction of the railway station in 1962 significantly improved the level of travel. In the same year, another school facility was added to the city, which was the 2nd primary school on Obuvnícka Street. Temporary accommodation for a large number of young women, ZDA employees, was provided by a high-rise building built in 1964 on Náměstí SNP. The sales network has also expanded. In 1964, the Mladosť department store and several smaller establishments on 1. mája Street were completed.


Great attention was paid to the design and appearance of the city. In 1964, a new beautifying element was added to the SNP Square - a fountain. The city became known to the general public with a unique representation of the symbol of the main production in the form of a large shoe made of flowers.

In 1966, the city was affected by three natural disasters, two major fires and a flood. The first fire occurred in February in the ZDA rubber building and caused almost two million in damage. The second fire in May completely destroyed the wooden tribune and the cabin of Iskra Partizánske. The third disaster came in August, when after heavy rains and a break in the clouds, water flooded almost the entire city. The total damage after the flood was estimated at 15 million crowns.


Almost 1,000 new employees were added to ZDA every year, and the number of footwear produced was in the tens of millions. The population also grew proportionally. In accordance with the growing demands for housing, the construction of the new Luhy housing estate began in 1967. In the late 60's, the city's population climbed to 16,000.

In the early 1970s, special attention was paid to the construction of a panoramic cinema, the city's gas supply and the modernization of transport infrastructure. In 1976, an underpass under the railway line was operated, which connects the city and the ZDA. A year later, a new bus station was completed, which contributed to the culture of travel. Construction also continued intensively in the Luhy housing estate, where in addition to other housing units, a crèche, a kindergarten, a grocery store and the Ostrov restaurant, two primary schools were added - on Nádražná Street (1974) and on Veľká okružná (1978). An artificial ice rink (1974), an indoor swimming pool (1977) and a sports hall (1977) began to serve the development of sports.

In 1971, the village of Malé Uherce was merged with the town. A significant change in the organization of the town took place in 1976, when the villages of Malé Bielice, Veľké Bielice, Návojovce and Brodzany were annexed to it.

The construction industry did not stop even in the 80's. Apartments, family houses, school and preschool facilities were added to the city, and the civic amenities of housing estates improved. The construction equipment moved from the Luhy housing estate to the newly built part of the town - Šípok, where housing construction continued. In 1985, the construction of a primary school, a kindergarten and a crèche began in the Šípok housing estate. A year later, construction began in the Stráne locality.

In this decade, several smaller and larger constructions were completed: the bridge over the river Nitra (1982), the House of Revolutionary Traditions, the Club of Pensioners - Resistance Fighters, the night sanatorium in Malé Bielice (1983), the new special school building (1986), the new MNV ceremonial hall and Alpha Service House (1987). As part of the purpose-built investment construction, for example, the operating buildings of the district enterprise of local industry, the district housing enterprise and the sewerage system were built in Šimonovany. In the "Z" action, the construction of a new department of clinical biology and ARO in the hospital, sewerage on Riečná Street, gasification of the part of Veľké Bielice, etc. took place.

In 1988, the observatory in Malé Bielice was put into operation as a unique and important specialized facility in the field of astronomy and cosmonautics in a wide area.

The opening of the reconstructed Social House (hotel) and fountain on SNP Square in 1989 contributed to the partial restoration of the appearance of the city center.

ZDA also did well, with 16,000 people working in the late 1980s and annual production of more than 32 million pairs of shoes.


The beginning of the 1990s, after the social changes brought about by the events of November 1989, marked the end of centralism and the advent of democracy. At the beginning of 1990, a petition event took place, in which the inhabitants asked for the name of the town to be changed to the original Baťovany. But the petition was not successful. Integrated municipalities were given the opportunity to regain their identity and some of them took advantage of it. On January 1, 1991, the villages of Brodzany and Malé Uherce separated from the town of Partizánske.

In the autumn of 1990, elections were held to the city self-government bodies, in which Ing. Dušan Frano. The city police, as a separate component under the direct control of the mayor, has become an integral part of city life.

On January 1, 1993, an independent Slovak Republic was established. Three years later, in accordance with the new laws on state administration and the new administrative division of the state, there was a fundamental change in the organization of regions and districts in Slovakia. Partizánske again became a district town and was incorporated into the Trenčín region.

New economic and political conditions in the country meant the loss of their largest shoe customer - the Soviet Union - for the August 29 Plant, which represented the main breadwinner of thousands of families from the city. The state enterprise ZDA was privatized in 1995 by the joint-stock company CEBO Holding Slovakia. The privatization process, the division of the company into several joint-stock companies and the collective redundancies had negative consequences for city life. The small and medium-sized companies that were established employed only a small part of the laid-off workers of the former ZDA. In 1999, unemployment in the city exceeded 20%.

Housing construction also stagnated in the early 1990s. The unfavorable housing situation began to be solved by rebuilding the former freemasonry and extending it over suitable buildings in the city center. Despite a significant decrease in the rate of investment in new buildings, the construction of a wastewater treatment plant (1993), a mourning house and a cemetery in Šípka was completed (1993), the Vodný hrad manor house in Šimonovany was reconstructed (1998) and the first stage of beautification of the central city zone was completed. which was the reconstruction of utilities, sewers and replacement of water networks (1998). At the end of the 1990s, a city apartment building with 144 flats was handed over for use at the Šípok housing estate.

Significant changes were recorded in secondary education. The vocational school has expanded the range of fields of study, and a business academy has also been added. With the transfer of the ROH Racing Club, the library and other buildings from the former state enterprise ZDA to the property of the city, the Municipal Cultural Center became the bearer of cultural life in this period. Social changes have also affected healthcare. The privatization of first contact medical clinics and a selected network of specialized clinics took place. After the dissolution of the District Institute of National Health in Topoľčany in 1992, the hospital with the polyclinic gained legal personality. In 2003, it became a city non-profit organization.

Additional information

Transport: By foot, By bike, By car, By train, By bus
Parking: Free parking nearby

Accepted payments: Cash
Languages: Slovak

Suitable for: Childrens, Families with childrens, Elderly, Handicapped, Cyclists, Young, Adults
Season: Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter
Updated on: 30.5.2019

Opening hours


monday - tuesday:
07:30 - 15:00
07:30 - 16:30
07:30 - 15:00
07:30 - 14:00
Show more

Opening hours


monday - tuesday:
07:30 - 15:00
07:30 - 16:30
07:30 - 15:00
07:30 - 14:00


Phone: +421 38 749 2103
Website: partizanske.sk
City of Partizánske
Mestský úrad Partizánske
Námestie Slovenského národného povstania 212/4
958 01  Partizánske
Region: Trenčiansky
District: Partizánske
Area: Ponitrie
 48.625306, 18.37237

Locality Partizánske

Mestský úrad Partizánske
Námestie Slovenského národného povstania 212/4
958 01  Partizánske

Show contact

tips on experience around Events