In 1348 the village was called Pathwaricz, in 1773 Potworicze, in 1920 Patvarovce and only in 1927 the name Potvorice was established.
The first written mention of Potvorice is in the document of Bel IV. of 1263, in which he donated property to the Benedictines. Later, the property of the order was confiscated due to a dispute between Bel IV. and his son Stephen, in which the Benedictines sided with Bel IV. Out of revenge, Štefan donated the entire territory of the New Town with Potvorice to Duke Vavrinec, a sire of Srem. The Benedictines protested against this, regaining the property for two years, but only until 1275, when Vavrinec became lord again. This dispute dragged on for many years. Finally, in 1365, King Louis the Great confirmed the property to Lawrence, and the Benedictines never claimed this territory again. Later, Potvorice belonged to the powerful oligarch of Považie, Matúš Čák, and his successors - landowners (Ruttkay, Bársony, Csáky, Jeszensky, etc.).
In 1715, the village had 2 mills, 25 subjects and 11 jail households. In 1753, there were 58 families in the village. In 1787, there were 47 houses in the village, in which 369 inhabitants lived. In 1813, a huge flood in Považie swept the villages off the face of the earth. People saved bare lives in trees and elevated places. After 15 years after the flood, ie in 1828, there were 46 houses and 316 inhabitants in the village.