The village of Medzibrodie nad Oravou

0 ratings
The village of Medzibrodie nad Oravou. The village was inhabited in prehistoric times (the first mention of the village 1357). The territory of the village was inhabited as early as the Hallstatt period, as evidenced by research carried out in 1982. Research in 1982 showed that three construction phases of the fortification of the rampart took place here.

The village of Medzibrodie nad Oravou

The village of Medzibrodie nad Oravou. The village was inhabited in prehistoric times (the first mention of the village 1357). The territory of the village was inhabited as early as the Hallstatt period, as evidenced by research carried out in 1982. Research in 1982 showed that three construction phases of the fortification of the rampart took place here.

Research in 1982 showed that three construction phases of the rampart fortifications had taken place here. In the first phase, a ditch with a rampart was excavated and a wooden ramp was built on it. In the second stage - Hallstatt, the rampart was rebuilt using stone.

The third phase followed the further strengthening of the rampart. It was a fortified Hallstatt refuge - Hrádok, where the historic cemetery is now located. The tombstones of their time seldom came across prehistoric finds while digging graves - mostly shards of clay vases. The period tools and other needs of the then inhabitants of the refuge were probably washed away by water over time and brought less rare material here. The whole area - the valley of the Pucovský brook has been inhabited since Medzibrodia since prehistoric times. Prehistoric settlements in the area of Medzibrodia could exist as open settlements. The oldest mention of the village is from 1357 and it is mentioned as a serf village of the Orava estate, when it used Wallachian law. The village was administered by hereditary mayors. In the tax lists from 1547, the settlement is mentioned under the name "Meczybrogh". Eight geldings and three jailers lived here. The privileged charter of the Orava geldings was rewritten and confirmed by King Ferdinand I. In 1624 it had about 110 inhabitants. During the Kuruk wars, the settlement started. In the last decades of the 17th century and in the first decades of the 18th century, Medzibrodie succeeded again. The main occupation was farming associated with cattle breeding. Part of the population produced paving stones, the production of grinders, tying rafts, floating wood and sailing. Part of the population also provided transportation across the river Orava.

After the great flood in 1813, the village moved to the other bank of the river Orava, where it is still today. In 1827 the whole village burned down.

Source: Ing.Belvončík Štefan (20.8.2021)

Additional information


Languages: Slovak

Season: Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter
Updated on: 22.8.2021
Source: Ing.Belvončík Štefan

Opening hours

Weather

Not specified
Sun
Mon
Tue


Contact

The village of Medzibrodie nad Oravou
Medzibrodie nad Oravou
Region: Žilinský
District: Dolný Kubín
Area: Orava
 49.23552782277, 19.341209808727

Locality Medzibrodie nad Oravou

Medzibrodie nad Oravou

Show more

tips on experience around Events