The official chronicle of the current part of the city was destroyed by fire in the second half of the 20th century. The foundation of the village dates back to the 13th century. In 1345, it appeared in written records about the village under the name Knesy. In 1420, they registered the same village under the name Knese, when it already belonged to the serf villages of the Orava estate. In the privilege of Matej Korvín from 1474, the village is known as Knyesy. Among other things, it mentions that Matej Korvín confirmed his rights and privileges with the priestly geldings, which in practice meant exemption from paying taxes.