The barracks building at Trenčín Castle was built as part of an extensive fortification program implemented during the tenure of Trenčín Castle by the magnate family of the Zápoľsk family in the first half of the 16th century. They were used to accommodate the team of the castle garrison , or even assigned units. They were also used as an arsenal, ie a warehouse and repository of military armaments and equipment. Dust barrels and bullets for works, hooks and muskets were stored here, along with cold wooden weapons such as halberds, spears, spears and spades, as well as entire sets or individual parts of protective armor. The barracks building was also to provide an access road from the city to the castle.
The oldest part of the barracks is the western wall, originally connecting the Clock Tower with the Upper Castle, the position of which is related to the construction activity of Matúš Čák . This early Gothic phase can be dated to the turn of the 13th and 14th centuries.
The late Gothic phase from the beginning of the 16th century is already connected with the construction of the barracks themselves, which are connected to the older wall. In the first decades of the 16th century, a two-storey building with today's dimensions of 36 x 10-17 m was built as an extension to the wall. Although some authors have in the past tended to conclude that the barracks were built as a three-story building from the beginning, recent research has not confirmed this hypothesis. The ground floor of the building was accessible through a portal on the north facade. The building was already covered with a solid hip roof at this stage.
The third phase, referred to as late Gothic II., Consists in the overexposure of the Miners on the third floor. This reconstruction was probably carried out only after the destructive siege of the castle in 1528, probably in the period around 1534 - 1550.
The fourth construction phase is already renaissance, but it was reflected in the overall construction in more detail.
At present, the ground floor and second floor space are used for exhibition purposes.
On the first floor there is a permanent exhibition Unconquered. It consists of two parts.
The historical consists of medieval and modern cold, firearms or firearms.
The archaeological part is devoted to the results of the archaeological research of the barracks