One of the biggest tourist attractions in northern Slovakia is the Orava Castle, built on a rock above the river Orava in Oravský Podzámek as an "eagle's nest". They began to build the castle on the site of an old wooden castle after the Tartar invasion in 1241. From the originally small fortress from the 13th century, an extensive castle complex was created over the following centuries, which today has 154 rooms. In the past, it was a county castle and the seat of the Orava Castle Estate. He owned almost all of Orava. The buildings and interior of the castle bear the features of Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque and modern styles. The castle is still a living complex, the development of which has not stopped to this day.
Orava Castle consists of a series of buildings following the shape of the castle hill and the hill. In 1556 it fell into the hands of the Thurz family, who carried out its most extensive reconstruction. Orava Castle got its present form in 1611.
After the extinction of the Thurz family, he had several owners who did not care much for him. The biggest catastrophe hit the castle in 1800, when it burned down and became unnecessary for its administrators. Extensive reconstruction work to save the castle was not started until after the Second World War.