After the fall of Great Moravia at the beginning of the 10th century, the castle was temporarily disabled. The princely family of the Arpád family incorporated it into the territorial administrative organization of the nascent Hungarian state. From the 70s of the 10th century, this place was the seat of the Duchy. The sacral architecture is being restored, the castle has also become the center of the royal council - the county.
At the beginning of the 12th century, there were again reports of the Nitra diocese, which persisted in the Great Moravian tradition. At that time, the castle had an area of almost 8.5 hectares, was one of the largest in medieval Hungary. This place served not only the needs of secular power, the castle garrison, but also the Nitra Chapter of the canons and the bishops of Nitra, who also held the office of the mayor of Nitra. In times of military threat, residents from a wide area also found refuge here. The largest stone building was the Episcopal Cathedral of St. Emerám, Andrej-Svorad and Beňadik, which is also mentioned in Mauro's legend from 1064 - 1070 as the place where the remains of St. Andreja-Svorad and Beňadik. We assume that a stone building of the Romanesque bishop's palace was built on the site of the current bishop's palace in the 12th century, and the bathrobes of Nitra must have had an adequate residence here. There were also warehouses for storing supplies. Already in this period, it is also possible to consider the beginnings of the construction of wine cellars, in which episcopal and chapter wine made in Nitra and its surroundings were stored.