What we can see at the castle
As we indicated in the introduction, Krásna Hôrka is one of the few profane monuments in Slovakia that did not succumb to war and post-war plunder. The basis of the collection consists mainly of weapons that were exhibited here in the 19th century. Today, contemporary photographs of furnished castle interiors from the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries documenting the appearance of the old exhibition are extremely valuable to us.
The tour of the castle begins in the lower castle, where the original castle kitchen with an interesting image of the Eye of God, which was supposed to prevent theft in the spirit of the principle of the Eye of God, sees everything. basset horns exhibited in a small music lounge. They are the work of the Bratislava native Theodor Lotz, a court toolmaker. There are 8 such "corners" in the world and there are three on Krásná Hôrka!
The tour of the lower castle is followed by a tour of the upper castle and the north-western bastion, where the remarkable burial carriage of Countess Františka, wife of Dionýz Andrássy, is on display. The coach is Art Nouveau and is the work of the Munich master Karel Weinberger from 1904.
The tour continues in the old Bebek buildings and in the Gothic tower, where weapons and armor from the 16th and 17th centuries are concentrated. The exposition of the Gothic palace documents the 16th - 17th centuries, ie the period of Turkish rule in Hungary. In the small room of the palace there is an extremely rare Renaissance armchair from 1450, originating in Rimini from the estate of Sigismund Malatesta.
From the Gothic palace, we move along the connecting corridor to the so-called Rákoczi tract (middle castle). Rare collections of historical furniture await us here, mostly from the 18th and 19th centuries. However, a very valuable early Baroque cabinet from the beginning of the 18th century stands out among the furniture collections, which legend claims to be a wedding gift by František Rákoczi to Žofia Serédyová. The portraits of members of the family as well as genre paintings add color to this relatively modest interior. There are works by Sigismund Vajda, Andor Boruth, Stefan Dorfmeister, Carl von Sales, Francesca Nocile. Oswald, the patron of the weather from the Italian Renaissance master Jacopo Barbari from 1500. The oil painting of the Levoča classicist painter Jozef Czauzik from 1823 also deserves attention, not even for its artistic qualities but rather for the curiosity of the captured theme. The painting entitled "A Rare Example of a Long Life in Hungary" captures Ján Rovin and his wife Sara. We learn from the Hungarian text under the figures of the elders that Ján lived for 172 years, his wife 164 and they lived together in a happy happy marriage for 147 years!
Other rooms document the life of Countess Františka - we are in a reverential museum set up here by her husband Dionysus a year after her death in 1903. Here he gathered all the objects that her hand touched and on which the sight rested. Here, too, we can find rare works of applied art from the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries, the countess's dress, her fashion accessories and the bed on which she died on October 26, 1902 in Munich.
Through a small courtyard we get to the ground floor of the middle castle, which Dionysus had transformed into a family crypt. 16 members of the family are buried here. The last burial took place here in 1991, when the remains of Countess Ilona Andrássy (1917 - 1990) from the Bethlehem branch, who lived in exile in Budapest, were placed here for eternal rest. In the tomb there are two remarkable ancient Roman sarcophagi from the 2nd century AD. One is decorated with putt figures, among which there is an inscription, in which is buried Charles IV, who died 22 years old in 1910. The other, empty is without decoration and text. The 19th century also left monuments in the crypt in the form of beautiful epitaphs and sarcophagi. It is not without interest a massive marble relief by the important sculptor Juraj Zala, which was intended for the tomb of Count Július Andrássy st. As Count Prime Minister of Hungary and Palatine of Hungary, the Count crowned Emperor Francis Joseph I as King of Hungary, his wife Elizabeth, called Sissi as Queen of Hungary. He later became Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy. However, Július Andrássy is buried on his estate in Trebišov.
The tour of the castle ends in the chapel, where the body of Žofia Seréda is exhibited. On the north and south walls of the chapel there are two large, richly decorated and polychrome funeral shields - the mortuary of the Andrássy family and the Pálffy family.
In order to be able to create a comprehensive picture of the history and vast legacy of the Andrássy family, it is almost necessary to visit the gallery and mausoleum in Krásnohorský Podhradí as well as the manor house and the extensive English park in Betliar.