The castle was built at the turn of the 12th and 13th centuries to protect the road to the Central Slovak mining area. The first written mention dates from 1329. It was probably built by a member of the Lošonci family from Lučenec, but after an unsuccessful conspiracy against the king, in which Sigismund and Stephen from Lučenec also took part, Matej Korvín donated it to Michal Orság in 1469. Shortly afterwards, it was already owned by Ján Nádašy Ongor, and after his death, the castle was forcibly seized by Žigmund Balaša. Under the ownership of the Balaši family, a new fortification was built in 1559 with modern defensive elements, ie a bastion and two corner bastions. However, even these measures did not prevent it from being conquered by the Turks in 1575, after a long siege and threat, which occupied it until 1593, when it was recaptured by the royal army together with Bálint Balaš. The robbery deeds of its owner Imrich Balaš became fatal for the castle - in 1683 it was conquered and set on fire by imperial troops.
The castle has preserved the masonry and the layout of a medieval castle. The castle is gradually uncovered by archaeological research and preserved.