The manor is located in a small Slovak village just north of ancient Nitra. It has about 900 inhabitants and is a village rich not only in history with four historic buildings that attract visitors, but also has a long tradition in growing vines. According to documents, it was grown here as early as the 13th century, and the coat of arms of the village is a man dressed in the Middle Ages, holding a large bunch of grapes in his hands. The history of the castle, whose ruins stand out from the mountains above the village, dates back to the times of the Great Moravian Empire, and according to legend, Svätopluk stored his sword and treasure in this place. King Sigismund of Luxembourg also used to come here and organize rich fox hunts. For a time, the castle also belonged to oligarch Matúš Čák of Trenčín. In 1392, in exchange for the Čeklí estate (Bernolákovo), the castle was acquired by the Pecz family, who appropriated the name of the village of Appony (today Oponice) as the name of their family and still use it in various parts of the world. The family lived in the castle until the 17th century, then they rebuilt a stone building in the village into a manor house and gradually added more wings to it. Finally, the last completion of the manor house in 1846, which was the famous family library, gave the manor house the shape of the letter U.