The castle is first documented in writing in 1262, it was built by King Belo IV. on the site of a defunct fortified settlement from the 1st century BC. He performed a defensive function. It was destroyed several times and subsequently expanded (13th and 14th centuries), from 1340 it was the seat of Liptov County. In the years 1431 - 1434 it was occupied by Hussite troops, in 1454 it passed into the ownership of Pongrác, which renovated the residential part and strengthened the castle with an advanced park wall. After the suppression of the anti-royal conspiracy in 1471, the castle was conquered by King Matej Korvín and had it completely destroyed. Only a part of the wall under the overhang of grassland has been preserved from it.
The original castle consisted of a residential tower, a cistern, a small courtyard and two gates. The castle estate originally owned large areas (for example, the village of Liptovský Trnovec), which decreased significantly after the construction of castles Likava and Liptovský Hrádok
In the 1980s, the castle grounds were the subject of research into medieval archeology, while its foundations were reconstructed and preserved, and its gradual development until its demise was clarified. Remains of two cisterns, a palace, towers were uncovered, and a number of bullets and blacksmith's material were also discovered from the discovered slide under the castle wall on the western edge of the complex.
The whole area of the castle is open to the public. The red-marked tourist trail Vlachy - Havránok - Bukovina - Sedlo pod Kráľovou (773 m above sea level) and also the yellow-marked tourist trail Kalameny - Sedlo pod Kráľovou and further to the Poľana saddle (845 m above sea level) lead here.