EN EN
1 rating
Originally, a smaller castle was built here in the 13th century, belonging to the Nitra diocese. During the following centuries, the ownership of the castle changed several owners (eg Pongrácovci, Podmanickovci). In 1563, František I. Turzo, a member of an important business family (engaged in copper mining and production), acquired the Bytčianske estate together with the castle, who in 1571 - 1574 had a new building built on the site of an old Gothic castle - a fortified chateau complex with several functional buildings.

Bytčiansky castle

Originally, a smaller castle was built here in the 13th century, belonging to the Nitra diocese. During the following centuries, the ownership of the castle changed several owners (eg Pongrácovci, Podmanickovci). In 1563, František I. Turzo, a member of an important business family (engaged in copper mining and production), acquired the Bytčianske estate together with the castle, who in 1571 - 1574 had a new building built on the site of an old Gothic castle - a fortified chateau complex with several functional buildings.

As a Hungarian palatine, he had the so-called The wedding palace, a spacious building in the forecourt, dedicated to festive family occasions, especially the wedding receptions of his seven daughters. From several, especially decorative details (decoration of portals, sgraffito window framing, profiling of cornices, etc.) it can be concluded that the palace is the work of Italian masters. Above the main portal is his coat of arms and the coat of arms of his wife Alžbeta Czoborová. Above the coats of arms is the inscription: SPECTABILIS AC. MAGNIFICVS. DOMINVS. GEORGIVS // THVRZO. DE BETTLENFALWA. COMES. COMITATVS // ARWENSIS. PINCERNARVM. REGALIVM. IN HVNGARIA // MAGISTER. AC SACRE. CESAREAE. REGIAEQWE // MAIESTATIS. CONSILIASRIVS. EX LOVE PATERNO // PRO SOLEMITATE. NVPTIARVM. CHARISSIMARVM // FILIARVM SVARVM. A DOMINO DEO SIBI. DONATARVM // SI DOMINVS. DEVS TAM DIVEAS SVPERSTITES // ESSE VOLVERIT. PALATIVM HOC FIERI ET EXTRVI.

Another Italian master, A. Pocabello, also entered the history of the chateau during the Renaissance, who repaired the chateau and the Wedding Palace after the devastating invasion of the Hajdú troops in 1605 - 1612. During these modifications, they also built an arcade in the courtyard of the central building, which covered old frescoes from the period of the manor house.

After the extinction of the Turz family, who set up a library in Bytča and also had a jeweller's shop with a collection of rare tapestries, the fate of Bytčianske chateau changed. In 1624, through the marriage of Kristína Ňáriová (Nyára), the widow of Imrich Turz, the last male member of the Turzov family, and Mikuláš Esterházi, the chateau became the property of the Esterházi family, to which it belonged until the middle of the 19th century. Given that their main family seat was the castle in the town of Eisenstadt, they used this building mainly for economic purposes; its appearance was enriched only in 1736 cycle of murals in the arcade; the frescoes depict the life-size of Hungarian and European rulers as well as well-known dukes and heroes from ancient mythology.

In 1862, the estate was bought by the Popper business family, who saw in its possession mainly economic benefits. It also subjected building modifications to this, which contradicted the historical and architectural value of the building: it rebuilt its own chateau into flats, the Wedding Palace into a district court. Called. classicist building, which was built around 1830 Reconstruction of the Renaissance building, functionally annexed to the district court and also served the purpose of the city.

At the time of the ownership of the last owners, the castle was heavily in debt. In 1935, it was first imposed on him and since 1945 a national administration. Finally, on April 3, 1950, the state took over the ownership of Bytčiansky Castle together with other buildings belonging to it.

Additional information

Transport: By foot, By bike, By car, By train, By bus
Parking: Free parking nearby

Accepted payments: Cash
Languages: Slovak

Suitable for: Childrens, Families with childrens, Elderly, Handicapped, Young, Adults
Season: Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter
Updated on: 2.9.2021
Source: Wikipédia

Opening hours

Weather

Not specified


Contact

Bytčiansky castle
Bytčiansky zámok
Kilianova 136/2
014 01  Bytča
Region: Žilinský
District: Bytča
Area: Horné Považie
 49.220315, 18.559245

Bytčiansky zámok
Kilianova 136/2
014 01  Bytča

Show contact

tips on experience around Events