0 ratings
Lednice is a castle ruin located in the Púchov district above the village of the same name in the White Carpathians.

Lednice Castle

Lednice is a castle ruin located in the Púchov district above the village of the same name in the White Carpathians.

Lednice Castle was built in the second half of the 13th century. Its function was mainly to protect the northwestern border of Hungary, so Lednice belonged to the royal castles. In the years 1259 - 1269 it was owned by a certain Marek, a mayor from Lednice. At the beginning of the 14th century, Matúš Čák Trenčiansky seized it temporarily. After 1321, the castle fell into the hands of the monarch again. At the end of the 14th century, it was owned by the Pakšiov family, which in 1392 put it in reserve to Henk, a nobleman of Czech origin. Even during the reign of Sigismund in the first quarter of the 15th century, the owners of Lednice Castle and the manor became brothers Sobek and Matej Bielikovci, from Kornice in Silesia. Their estate was not endangered even by the temporary occupation of the castle by the Hussite garrison. Their activity is documented by a rare document written in the national language, from 1435, according to which the Mikuš family from Streženíce donated property in Nimnice. During the struggle for the Hungarian throne, Matej Korvín handed over Lednice to his follower Nehéz in 1475.

Years after the Battle of Mohács, the Podmanick family, represented by brothers Ján and Rafael, sought to finally become the owner of Lednice, as authorized by a deed from 1504. BIELIKOVÁ. In the autumn of 1533, they launched a military attack against the castle and occupied it. At the same time, they concluded an agreement with the imperial military commander Katzianer, who acknowledged their claims. Lednice remained in the hands of the Podmanick family until 1558. With the death of Rafael Podmanický in 1558, according to the agreement, the Lednice manor and the castle were taken over by the royal chamber, because Rafael had no descendants. The following year, the property was bought by the Košice captain Imrich Telekeši (Thelekessi). Soon after that, on May 30, 1560, he died at an advanced age, and Lednice was inherited by his only son Štefan, who married Petr Forgáč's daughter, Zuzana. Their only son, Michal, was not even four years old when his mother died, and he was only ten years old when he lost his father. He grew up without training in the rough gaps, which was reflected in his life. He became a robber knight. Insecurity prevailed in the castle and on the manor, various violence against the subjects multiplied. Therefore, on September 11, 1600, a military intervention took place against Lednice Castle under Thurz's leadership. Telekeshi did not wait for this military action against his headquarters, because he fled to Poland in mid-August and settled for a temporary period in Krakow.

Thurzo finally lured Telekeš into a trap under the pretext of negotiations. He was subsequently thrown into the castle prison and executed on April 3, 1601. Michal Telekešim died by the sword.

In the same year, the Lednice estate was bought by the mayor of Tekov, František Dobo, who, however, died without descendants the following year. On the basis of his testamentary legacy, the inheritance right to the manor was transferred to his relatives. Of these, Zuzana Lórantfiová married Juraj I. Rákoci in 1616. As a dowry to marriage, she brought the Lednice estate, which thus became part of the Rákoci estate. After the battle of Trenčín in 1708, Lednice, like other surrounding castles, came under the power of the imperial army. At that time, the castle was already falling into disrepair, because little care was taken of its maintenance. In the last anti-Habsburg uprising, the castle was occupied by the Kurucs of František Rákóczi II. and after the suppression of the uprising, the imperial army burned the castle in 1710. Then the castle was put in advance by the Maťašovsk family, who also had it repaired in 1746 and supplemented the missing interior equipment. After the extinction of the Maťašovsk family in 1754, the royal property was taken over again by the royal chamber.

However, the son of Juliana Rákoci and Ferdinand Gobert Aspremont, Ján Gobert Aspremont, got the possession of Lednice a few years later. The Aspremont family died by the sword in 1819 and their Lednice estate was inherited by their daughter Mária Anna, who in 1807 married Baron Filip Skrbenský. Their son Filip sold the Lednice estate to Jozef Schreiber, a factory owner and glassmaker, in 1890. However, the castle acted more as a supplement to the Lednice manor house in these years, and while all the buildings were still standing in 1830, 70 years later it is only a ruin. .

The Historical and Astronomical Society has been taking care of the castle and its rescue since 2004, in cooperation with the municipality of Lednice. In 1999, part of the northern wall collapsed. In 2011, about 300 kilograms of stone mass were torn off from the front palace part of the ruin. At present, the castle is not open to the public, but it is currently under reconstruction, it is possible to visit it during the weekends - spring.

Additional information

Transport: By foot, By bike, By car, By bus
Parking: Free parking nearby

Accepted payments: Cash
Languages: Slovak

Suitable for: Childrens, Families with childrens, Elderly, Cyclists, Young, Adults
Season: Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter
Updated on: 14.6.2019
Source: Wikipédia

Opening hours


Not specified


Lednice Castle
Hrad Lednica
Lednica 403
020 63  Lednica
Region: Trenčiansky
District: Púchov
Area: Horné Považie
 49.110498, 18.211318

Hrad Lednica
Lednica 403
020 63  Lednica

Show contact

tips on experience around Events