Already at the end of the Middle Ages, Prešov became the most important political, cultural, economic-administrative and also religious center of the Šariš capital. The importance of the town increased even more when in 1723 it became the seat of one of the four newly established legal institutions in Hungary, namely a district court board intended for the entire Potisia area.
Questions concerning the Šariš stool fell within the competence of the Šariš robe, resp. stool assemblies held at the seat of the mayor. The robe was appointed by the monarch. The mayor was the commander of all the royal soldiers who were in the territory of the county (or stool), but he also judged the inhabitants. In addition to the nobility and clergy, he also took care of the administration of state revenues.
The Šariš capital retained its independence and territorial integrity until the middle of the 19th century. Its borders have already been established in the 14th century. The original seat of the Šariš county was Šariš Castle. Following the order of Maria Theresa, according to which each seat was obliged to build a new administrative building in the place of its seat, a representative building of the County House was built in the years 1769 - 1770.
The county house served its original purpose until the end of 1944. In the period of the first Slovak Republic, it was the seat of the Šarišsko-zemplínská county. After the war, the County House was gradually reconstructed to provide space for several institutions.