Historically, the first building in the valley intended for use by tourists was Egid's cottage, standing on an Austrian meadow, since 1876, named after the great-grandmaster of the UKS, Egid Berzeviczy, the initiator of the building. This cottage was transferred to the north bank of the Green Ball in 1880, but already in 1882 the permanently uninhabited cottage was seriously damaged by a storm. After its transfer to the south bank in 1877, the cottage stood for three years, when in 1890 it was destroyed twice by fire. The need to restore the tourist building in this locality grew in 1895 until the start of new construction and in 1897 the cottage standing again on the north bank of the lake was rebuilt and used by visitors from July 4, 1897. It was officially opened on August 27, 1897. The cottage was named after Archduke Friedrich Habsburg - Friedrich's cottage. After the fall of the monarchy, it was called the Cottage at the Green Ball until 1950, when it was renamed Brnčal's Cottage until 1992, when its name was changed again to the Cottage at the Green Ball. Zelené pleso is one of the most beautiful lakes in the Tatras.