The foundations of the church date from the Gothic period, after several reconstructions it acquired its present appearance in the middle of the 18th century and for the most part it is in the Baroque style. The first written mention of the parish in the village of Sempoz (Senec) dates back to 1308. Historians have evidence of the existence of an still old wooden church on the Senec hill belonging to the fortification system from the times of Great Moravia. In 1326, the district charter of the village of Tureň states that in the village of Senec the church is dedicated to St. Nicholas.
Originally an early Gothic building, it underwent several reconstructions in 1326. Other reports on building modifications are from 1561, the Renaissance modification dates from 1633, the Baroque from 1740. The last modifications were carried out in the 19th and 20th centuries. There are four altars in the church, the main one is dedicated to St. Mikuláš, to the left of the Rosary of the Virgin Mary, to the right of St. Ladislav and the altar of St. Theresa. The altars are made in the Rococo style. The surroundings of the church on the hill form a small platform, its edge is surrounded by a wall, on which the stops of the Stations of the Cross are connected. At the foot of the sanctuary at the brick fence is a sculpture of Calvary from 1934 and below Calvary is the impressive Lourdes Cave.