Trnava is known mainly for a number of sacred monuments from Gothic to Baroque, for which it was given the title Little Rome. One of the most valuable sacral monuments is the first early Baroque church in Slovakia - the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist with rich decoration. The jewel of its interior is a colossal wooden barrel from 1640, almost 20 m high and almost 15 m wide. In 2003, during his visit to Slovakia, Sv. Father John Paul II The oldest church in Trnava is originally the Romanesque church of St. Nicholas. On its foundations, a magnificent Gothic church of the basilica type grew. In the 18th century, a baroque chapel of the Virgin Mary of Trnava was added on the north side of the church. Thanks to the loving image of the Blessing Virgin Mary, Trnava is a well-known place of pilgrimage. The ancient streets with monastery complexes, burgher houses and, last but not least, the monumental area of the Trnava University buildings have an unrepeatable charm. The city fortifications, one of the oldest in Slovakia, represent a very valuable architectural monument of its kind and are one of the most important fortifications in Central Europe. The dominant feature of the square and the whole city is the renaissance city tower, from which there is a panoramic view of the city and the tourist-attractive surroundings.