It was originally part of the castle documented by a document of Ladislav V from 1276. After the castle's demise in 1321, there was a Benedictine monastery near the church, founded by Palatine Leustach of Jelšava. The abandoned monastery and church with fortifications were rebuilt in the 15th century by the Carmelites, who were called to Prievidza by Laustach's son Juraj. When the Carmelites received a papal indulgence in 1430, the church became a place of pilgrimage. The faithful turned to the "merciful" statue of the Virgin Mary from the end of the 15th century (today on the main altar from 1721) with requests and prayers. Pilgrimage did not completely disappear even during the Reformation. After the evangelicals were expelled from the city and both churches were retaken by the Catholics in August 1660, the Marian pilgrimage was solemnly established on August 15. On Marianský Vršek, Sunday pilgrimages are still held for the feast of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, the patron saint of the church. The main altar is baroque, ambit from the first quarter of the 16th century. The side altar is baroque from the end of the 17th century.