After the arrival of the Esztergom Chapter in Trnava, Archbishop Mikuláš Oláh had an adequate seat built here in 1562. Two Gothic houses had to give way to the construction of the palace, one of them was the house of the altar of St. John the Baptist, an association in charge of maintenance and costs of the altar of St. John the Baptist from the parish church. Oláh's successor, Archbishop František Forgáč, enriched the palace with a late Renaissance main portal and a representative staircase. On his initiative, the originally free-standing building of the archive was created, located opposite the side entrance to the parish church. However, since the building was built on city land, the municipality conditioned its construction on the temporary use of the chapter during the presence of the chapter in Trnava. After her removal, it was to be handed over to the city, but the archbishop had the archive connected to the palace. This began a long-standing dispute in which the king finally ruled in favor of the chapter. Half a century later, the palace was also joined by a detached house of Slovak preachers, located by the walls. A partial idea of the staff is provided by a preserved list of rooms from 1776. In addition to His magnificence - the archbishop, there lived a cupper, butler, makeshift, notary, controller, secretary, but also bastards and family members. The economic background was provided by the land belonging to the residence with the owner located opposite, on the corner of the square and today's Haulíková street. The archbishop's office was located here until the end of the 20th century, when it moved to the reconstructed aristocratic boarding school.