At the end of the 18th century, when Trnava began to grow outside the walls, new residential and representative burgher residences began to emerge in the gardens and in the area of the buried moats. These include a plot with a classicist house and garden, which is also captured in the city plan by canon Štefan Nemečkaj from 1865. Since the beginning of the 20th century, it has been associated with the family of landowner Ignác Koppel, a member of the town council who left the original house in 1910-1911 rebuild into today's neoclassical form. The business family of the Kopplovs appeared in Trnava in the middle of the 19th century, Samuel Koppel, for example, bought the town brewery in 1862 with an adjoining residential farmyard, now known as Káčerov majer. In the interwar period in Trnava, Ignác Koppel became one of the largest owners of agricultural land and a major producer of agricultural crops for the food industry. With the onset of World War II, the family emigrated abroad, except for Ignác himself, who remained in Trnava and became the only victim of the Holocaust. The villa after World War II served mostly for various administrative purposes, since 1962 as a crèche and kindergarten. After 1990, it became the permanent seat of the Ján Koniark Gallery and in 1992 the first exhibition was ceremoniously opened. Ten years later, on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of Ján Koniark's death, a permanent exhibition dedicated to the work of this sculptor, a native of nearby Voderád, the founder of modern Slovak sculpture, who lived and worked in Trnava for almost thirty years, was opened in a new annex.