The history and mission of the Slovak National Museum through the most valuable and museum of its own - a collection item - presents the exhibition Kmetianum. A representative selection from all scientific disciplines, which represents the jewel of the collection, tells more than 120 years of the history of the Slovak National Museum, but also the stories of the personalities who shaped it.
In memory of the most important of them, the founder and first chairman of the Slovak Museum Society, Andrej Kmeť, a science exposition named after him was to be born in the 1930s. However, the original natural history Nature Turca (1979) and the exhibition Kmetianum (1998) in the A. Kmeť Museum became a partial fulfillment of this idea. These efforts have finally been fulfilled in the new exhibits made available in 2017.
The first building of the Slovak National Museum, in which the history of this important national fund institution began to be written, was built in Martin on the initiative of the Slovak Museum Society. The foundation stone was ceremoniously laid on August 8, 1906 in the presence of the first chairman of the MSS, Andrej Kmeť. The construction was carried out by the company Palkovič - Hlavaj - Uličný according to the design of the architect Milan Michal Harminc. It was financially covered by the Museum Slovak Society, while almost half of the costs were obtained by the national collection. After the construction was completed (1907), the first nationwide historical, archeological, numismatic, paleontological, mineralogical, botanical and zoological expositions, including an extensive picture gallery and library, were opened to the public in 1908 on an area of 780 m2.
During its long and turbulent history, the building has undergone several changes, including changes in the purpose of use and the owner. In 1948, it became the property of the state, which established the Turčianske Andrej Kmeť Museum here in 1964. It was declared a national cultural monument in 1995, and since 1996 it has been a part of the Slovak National Museum again.