In this period they built e.g. → County house / 19 / or luxury hotel → Black Eagle / 23 /. However, the city as such wanted to be better represented, which was somewhat hindered by the old town hall, which once stood near the Cathedral of St. Elizabeth towards the theater.
The new town hall was built in the years 1779 - 80 in the Baroque-Classicist style. The architect was the same one who also exhibited the County House - Ján Langer. The fact that the building belonged to the city is clearly confirmed by → Košice coat of arms / 13 / above the balcony. Below it are reliefs, with the middle one showing King Solomon, who has just been visited by two mothers, arguing over one child. He ordered the child to be halved so that each would have its own part. Then the real mother said they should give it to the other. And it was all clear to Solomon…
Justice is also embodied on the roof on the right in the form of a statue of Justice and the "Allegory of Justice", which is painted by Erasmus Schrött above the stairs. Thanks to the fact that the town hall in the 2nd half. In the 90s of the last century, it became a town hall again, and other frescoes were reconstructed. Modern town heads (even with part of the hull) are always present in the town hall. These could be called mayors only from r. 1982 (previously only the chairmen of MsNV). Living and living side by side are immortalized by images.
It should be mentioned that he certainly sleeps well in this building. This was indirectly confirmed by his letter of thanks to the Russian duke Kutuzov, who spent 5 days here, including New Year's Eve 1805. Although he was not in a good mood after his defeat by Napoleon, he certainly dreamed that one day it would be the other way around.
The building was also visible during the Slovak Republic, when it was the seat of its highest body, the Revolutionary Government Council. In the years 1928-1995 there was a public library instead of the town hall and everyone could come here. Since then, the mayor will only receive you here on special occasions. However, it is more likely that you will get to the former Slovan cinema in the yard, which has been since 1927 the largest covered hall with its 734 seats.