In 1447, it became a capital castle and the center of the royal castle estate Likava, which included the towns and villages of Ružomberok, Nemecká Ľupča (today's Partizánska Ľupča), Liptovský Trnovec, Sielnica, Bobrovec and 17 other municipalities. After 1435, the lower castle was added to the original core of the castle, in the second half of the 15th century the Gothic upper castle and after 1533 it was modified in the Renaissance style. Extensive building modifications were made in the years 1642 - 1700, when a new fortification with 5 bastions was built. In 1670 it was severely damaged by the imperial army. Later, the castle served as a military hostel and a capital prison (1685). In 1703, the castle was seized by the rebel troops of Francis II. Rákoci and in 1707 the castle was demolished at his command in retreat from the imperial troops.
It is currently managed by the Liptov Museum, and a permanent exhibition of the castle's history has been set up in Hunyady's Bastion.