The town, located at the foot of the Strážovské vrchy, has almost 20,000 inhabitants. Bánovce is located at the confluence of the Radiš and Bebrava streams at an altitude of 216 m. Archaeologists consider this area to be one of the Slavic organizational centers as early as the 9th century. The first written mention of the town of Villa Ben is in the deed of gift of the Hungarian King Andrew II. from 1232. Bánovce gained city privileges sometime before 1376. In the Middle Ages, the city was an important center of handicraft production. There were fluffy clothiers, booties and weavers. During the first Czechoslovak Republic, the city had an agricultural and craft character. After the Second World War, the engineering industry (Tatra carmaker), the furniture and textile industries developed. The following were born or worked in Bánovce: Janko Jesenský, Mária Ďuríčková, Elena Čepčeková, Rudo Móric and others.
The historical monuments include the Gothic church of St. Mikuláš / 15th century /, later renaissance and baroque modified, which stands in the cemetery, a statue of St. Florian and the synagogue from the 19th century. The dominant feature of the city center is the Roman Catholic Church of the Holy Trinity from 1802. Among the important monuments are also the remarkable monument of Ľudovít Štúr / the first and largest monument in Slovakia /, the manor house of the Ottlýkov family and the memorial house of Janek Jesenský.
The surroundings of the town are suitable for fishing and water sports. Nature excels in rich forests with hunting grounds and mushroom pickers and tourists will also enjoy themselves. In Bánovce there is a thermal swimming pool Pažiť, indoor swimming pool with thermal water, fitness centers, winter stadium, restaurant services, accommodation.