History of the village
The oldest settlement of the village dates back to the 11th century, when the existence of an ancient Slovak settlement is assumed. The village was founded in the 13th century, but the oldest written mention of Abranovce comes from 1320. It is a document of the Jáger Chapter confirming the definition of the area of property Zbeh, which was adjacent to the property of Abranovce.
Another report from 1324 on the extent of the Záborský district informs about the road leading from Abranovce. In written sources from the 14th - 16th century, the village most often occurs under the Hungarian name Abran, which was derived from the original Slovak name, spiced in personal, respectively. family name Obran. Over the centuries, the name changed only partially, in 1773 Abrahan, Abrahanowcze; 1786 Abrahan, Abrahanowcze; 1808 Abrány, Abrányfalva, Abrany, Abranovwce, Obranowce; 1863 - 1913 Ábrány and since 1920 the village bears the current name Abranovce
Abranovce have been the property of the aristocratic Abov family from Drienov and their relatives from Budimír, Ploský and Žehn since the 13th century. In the 16th century, part of the village's property also belonged to the nobles of Brezovice, Kelemeš (Ľubotíc) and in the 17th century the village belonged to the Segney family, the Palffy family, the Kapy family, and in the 18th century to the Nemesaány family.
Abranovce belonged to smaller villages with an exclusively serf population. In 1600, the settlement consisted of nine inhabited serf houses. In the years 1715 - 1720, seven to eleven serf households gradually farmed here. In 1828, the village had 44 houses and 343 inhabitants. In 1900 the village had 240 inhabitants, in 1970 their number increased to 428. At present, the village has about 619 inhabitants.
In the period of the first Czechoslovak Republic, the inhabitants of Abranovice were mainly engaged in agriculture and worked in the forests. After the violent collectivization of agriculture, JRD was founded in the village in 1958. The inability to cultivate their land led the inhabitants to become employed in the industrial enterprises of the city of Prešov. After 1989, the wrongs of the past were corrected and conditions in the village were consolidated.
The old folk architecture has been preserved only sporadically, it was represented by residential houses built of stone, straw and clay, without a foundation, with a two-axis facade and a gabled roof. The covering was typically straw. The original old houses were rebuilt over time, on many the straw roofing was replaced by sheet metal or shingles.