In the 13th century, the village was known for breeding sheep, whose wool was of the highest quality in the wider area. In addition to sheep, excellent breeding horses were bred here. In Hlboky, knitted laces were traditionally made from hemp yarn. There were originally four small settlements on the territory of the current Hluboká district - Kratnov, Ropov, Hlovek and Chytkov, which disappeared in the following centuries. In 1715, the village had 16 serf and 38 jail households, more than a hundred years later there were 167 houses in the village, in which 1168 inhabitants lived. The fire that hit the village in 1863 caused a decrease in population, so in 1869 only 631 people lived here.