Jasenov Castle was declared a cultural monument in 1963.
Since 2011, the reconstruction and rescue of the castle has been underway by the municipality of Jasenov in cooperation with the civic Association for the Rescue of Jasenov Castle, which is a member of the interest association Let's Save the Castles. The castle complex is freely accessible for visitors.
The castle was probably built after the invasion of the Tatars in the 13th century. He was to guard the access road leading from southern Slovakia towards Humenné and further north. It is first mentioned in documents in 1328, resp. 1330 as the cast of Jezenew. It was probably built by the Račkaj family. The Druget family, originally an Italian family, became the owners of the local castle after the battle of Rozhanovce, after 1312 and belonged to them until the 17th century. In 1644 the castle was occupied by the troops of Juraj Rákoci. He was severely damaged during the siege and was not repaired later. The castle together with the village belonged to the Čáki family in the 18th century and to the Andráš family in the 19th century. At the end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century, certain efforts to save the building were made by the then monument authorities. Some of the already crumbling walls of the castle were preserved and they covered a small part of the building. The completion of the works was thwarted by the First World War.