It is one of the most significant landmarks of Bratislava and the second most popular tourist facility in the Slovak capital after the Castle.
Archaeological research has shown that the oldest settlement on the site of today's Dome comes from the Late Stone Age - the Eneolithic. It belonged to the people of Baden culture. The settlement was relatively intensive in the period of the 1st century BC, when the Celts settled in the local area and the area on which today's temple stands was in close proximity to their oppidum.
The construction of the temple underwent a complex architectural development during its centuries of existence. The place where the current church stands has been the center of social and religious events in the city since time immemorial. According to surviving reports and archaeological finds, the core of the emerging city at the turn of the 12th and 13th centuries can be assumed in this area. There was a settlement, whose inhabitants, in addition to secular buildings and the market (the first record of the market dates from 1151), built a smaller church in the 11th century - a rotunda - with a circular floor plan, around which they buried.  The rotunda was rebuilt in the 12th century into a chapel dedicated to St. Martin and its lower part served as a carner. At first, the needs of believers were fully sufficient.
The spiritual predecessor of today's cathedral was the post office with a collegial chapter on the castle acropolis. Its establishment is confirmed by a document from 1114, which states that a church dedicated to the Blessed Savior (Saint Salvator) was built for it (ie the chapter). According to archaeological research, this church stood on the site of the Great Moravian Basilica, on the eastern terrace of the castle.  The Bratislava post office with the chapter was officially recognized by the so-called loca credibila: had the right to bear a seal attesting to the authenticity of the documents. From the second third of the 13th century comes the seal of the Bratislava chapter with the circle S: ECLESIE SALVATORIS I POSO (Sigilium Ecclesiae Salvatoris in Poson, ie the Seal of the Parish of the Most Holy Savior in Prešpork).