Church of St. Michael the Archangel in Lančár
rises with its monumental appearance on the hill of the Chríb nature reserve and is the most prominent feature of the surrounding area. It is built on the foundations of an older church from 1332, which probably mixed Romanesque and Gothic influences. Part of the area is a Renaissance anti-Turkish fortification from the 17th century, which was built on the site of a prehistoric rampart from the younger Iron Age. Similar ones were built near the churches in Šenkvicy and Chtelnice, which, however, have not been preserved. The defensive character of the fortification is confirmed by the presence of embrasures located in the front part near the entrance gate. After 1720, a prismatic tower and a gate were added in the southern part of the fortification. The upper floor of the flood tower served as a belfry, while the original bells from the 17th and 18th centuries with reliefs of the Virgin Mary and reliefs of St. Michael the Archangel were replaced in 1926 with new ones. The lower floor was used as a chapel dedicated to the suffering Savior and later to John of Nepomuck. The chapel no longer serves its original purpose, as does a smaller object next to the tower, which was most likely an ossuary.
The current form of the church is the result of the late-Renaissance reconstruction of the original building around 1670 and its later phase from 1723 - 1733, when a transept was added to the one-nave church. The floor plan of the church thus took the form of a Greek cross. The nave of the church and the sanctuary are vaulted with a barrel vault with lunette sections, which is typical of the Renaissance and early Baroque. There is no similar church with such a layout in western Slovakia. The church is entered through two portals located in the southern wall of the nave and transept. However, the original portal was located in the western part of the then still one-nave church. Today this space serves as the Chapel of the Holy Sepulchre.
The importance of the church today lies primarily in its unique painting decoration from the Renaissance, Baroque and Rococo periods. Wall paintings in the church of St. Michael the Archangel is considered the most beautiful baroque painting in our territory.
Slovak films were filmed near the church: They are knocking on the mine, Chickens to the gun!, I judge you with love and others. From the courtyard of the church there is a nice view of the surrounding villages of Piešťany, Hlohovec and Trnava.