Vršatec is already mentioned in 1244 as a simple building, built before the invasion of the Tatars. The castle gradually changed several owners, in the 14th century it was owned by Matúš Čák Trenčiansky. In 1708, the castle was destroyed during the Rákoci uprising, and only ruins have survived to this day.
DISTANCE FROM TRENČÍN: 35 km.
ACCESS: By car from Trenčín in the direction of Ilava, via Pruské to the village of Vršatské Podhradie. By train or bus to Ilava and from there by bus to Vršatské Podhradie. From the bus stop it is about a 10-minute walk to the ruins of Vršatec Castle.