EN EN

Roman Catholic church and monastery in Šamorín

3 ratings
According to preserved documents from 1722 to 1778, the church and the monastery were built according to the project of JG Altenberger. Their builders were Paulines. Both monuments are important buildings of the late Baroque period.

Roman Catholic church and monastery in Šamorín

According to preserved documents from 1722 to 1778, the church and the monastery were built according to the project of JG Altenberger. Their builders were Paulines. Both monuments are important buildings of the late Baroque period.

The original church has only one nave with a segmental-arched sanctuary. The tower is built into the main facade. The interior walls and vault are decorated with frescoes and decorative paintings. These are mostly works by F. Sogrist from 1778, which capture individual milestones in the life of St. Francis of Paula. In the sanctuary of the Šamorín church there is a vaulted fresco depicting the meeting of St. Francis Pauline with King Louis XVI of France. The sick king heard about the ascetic life and healing abilities of St. Francis and, through the Pope, had him called to Tours. Francis did not make a long journey, but eventually informed the king that neither he nor God could cure him, and the only thing he could give him was to prepare him for Christian death. Today, the church is called the Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. The church and the monastery are connected with the sanctuary by a corridor. The builder of the church organ was the most famous master of those times, Ludvig Mooser. We do not know the original composition, but according to the preserved organ pipes, it is considered that it originally had 20 registers. Later repairs reduced the quality of the tool. At the end of the millennium, its condition was so critical that even reconstruction and restoration were considered, not just its overhaul. In 2005, the reconstruction work on the organ was completed and the result is a reconstructed organ to its original quality. It was ceremoniously handed over on June 26, 2005. The Order of the Paulines - or as they were called, the Order of Jesus-Mary at the beginning - was founded by St. Francis of Paula. The establishment of the order was approved by Pope Sixtus IV. in 1474. The Paulans were Catholic monks living a strict ascetic life and formed a begging order. They were also called minimalists ("little brothers"). The public often confused them with their neighbors. Their motto Charitas (love) expressed their attitude to life and their love for God and neighbor. The Paulians lived a humble and penitent life full of renunciation. They kept the promise of poverty and silence and even renounced the consumption of meat, greasy and butter meals. For some time, they succeeded in continuing their own activities, including the construction of churches and monasteries, missionary and educational activities. King Joseph II. however, in 1786 he had their order dissolved. The Pauline church and monastery became the property of the Catholic Church and the city. Today's name of the monastery is Korona, which comes from the restaurant Korona. It operated here until the 1960s in the wing of a building belonging to the city.

Additional information

Transport: By foot, By bike, By car
Parking: Free parking nearby, Paid parking nearby


Suitable for: Elderly, Cyclists, Young, Adults
Season: Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter
Updated on: 31.10.2017
Source: Šamorín

Opening hours

Weather

Not specified


Contact

Roman Catholic church and monastery in Šamorín
Kláštorná 994/2
931 01  Šamorín
Region: Trnavský
District: Dunajská Streda
Area: Podunajsko
 48.028488, 17.3074134

Altitude: 128 m

Kláštorná 994/2
931 01  Šamorín

Show contact

tips on experience around Events