Despite many rescue interventions (in the 1930s and 1950s), since 1937 it has had variable levels and sometimes dries up. Its existence was threatened, in addition to hydrological and climatic, by human factors. It was mainly the construction of a cable car station from Tatranská Lomnica to Skalnaté pleso and Lomnický štít.
Skalnate dolina, Skalnate pleso and Skalnaty potok have long been in the Lomnice district below Lomnicky stit . People called this valley Lomnická dolina. Very soon, however, herdsmen and herds began to devastate her. Soil erosion occurred and vegetation disappeared. The character of this part of the valley changed and therefore the name of the valley changed from Lomnická to Skalnata. Poles still respect the older names. The lake is therefore Łomnicky Staw. Juraj Buchholtz Jr. in his Panorama of the Tatras from 1717 has the designation Stagnum rupicaprarum - Stainbock See for him, which means Chamois Lake. Later, Stainbock (chamois) was erroneously transcribed into Steinbach (Rocky Stream) and thus the lake was renamed Steibach See.
The lake has an area of 1.23 ha, a depth of 2 m and is located at an altitude of 1,754 m above sea level